Fashion designing has emerged as a new career opportunity for youth in the past few years. It requires the art of creation, innovative thinking, an imagination, skill of cutting, sewing and designing. It is an ongoing trend to wear branded, designer clothing by most people inclining children, youth and even adults to look fashionable and stylish. Sewing is a very important part of the dress-making process and is an art and creativity which requires skill and training. It can also be leaned as an extra skill, to create personalized clothing and by women who wish to start their career in clothing.
There are few sewing techniques which have to be learned for a perfect sew and stitch, to avoid any irregularities in the lines and to make it look professional.
- Cutting should be accurate: Cutting is the foremost part of sewing and plays an important role in the dress-designing. For any clothing including shirts, jeans, trousers or a suit, cutting needs to be accurate and proper finished giving a clean and easy sewing follow up. Always use a sharp pair of scissors to make the cut clean and nice.
- Measurements need to be on the mark: Measuring tape is a stethoscope for a tailor or dressmaker. It is very essential to rake correct measurements of the person including shoulders, neck, back, arms, and length of shirt size or blazer to make it perfectly fit on the body. Poor or ill-fitted clothes ruin the attire and the appearance of the person.
- Topstitch is an art: It is the stitch which appears on the top of the cloth and needs to be very well finished to give professional look to the dress. It can’t be compromised to have any irregular lines or arcs as it is unlike the inner stitch which is hidden. Mostly, topstitch is done in the same colour as the fabric but in aces of jeans or a denim shirt, it is usually of other colour to make it appear bright and noticeable.
- The hem should be nicely finished: Hem which is the folded part of the border of the piece should be neatly pressed and stitched to make it look perfectly sewed. Any unfinished or non-straight lines, rigged thread or improperly folded border can make the trousers or shorts look dull and rough.
- Stay stitching: It is mostly done to prevent distortion on the edge or the curves. Curves can be the most tricky part of stitching and hence, always take care of proper inches. It is advised to stay stitch to prevent any irregularities in the fabric.
There are many online and offline institutions where you can learn the sewing techniques and transform basic fabrics into the imagination of your own.